Kiss me, I'm Catholic.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Candlesmas Day



Nunc dimittis servum tuum, Domine
Secundum verbum tuum in pace:
Quia viderunt oculi mei salutare tuum
Quod parasti ante faciem omnium populorum:
Lumen ad revelationem gentium,
Et gloriam plebis tuae Israel.


Cool stuff about Candlemas. I love this site.

Technically, the Christmas season ends today. I guess the Poles and the Italians are dragging down their crispy greenery at last...

I didn't get any candles this year. Either the chaplain didn't bless any, or else he blessed them before Mass, when I was in English class. But at least I still have one from last year!

Oh wait, it's back in California. Oops...

Incidentally, the first Tridentine Mass I ever attended fell on Candlemas. It couldn't have been a more fortunate coincidence - it was truly beautiful.

A merry Candlemas to all, and to all a good night. (Hee hee.)

Down with the rosemary, and so
Down with the bays and misletoe ;
Down with the holly, ivy, all,
Wherewith ye dress'd the Christmas Hall :
That so the superstitious find
No one least branch there left behind :
For look, how many leaves there be
Neglected, there (maids, trust to me)
So many goblins you shall see.



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com