Kiss me, I'm Catholic.

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Poetry imPlosion

This from Wonderblossom sums up everything I hate about modern po-biz.


Here are some things my poetry workshops taught me to avoid like the plague:

End rhyme
Perfect rhyme
Abstractions, particularly emotional abstractions
Adjectives (permissible in moderation)
Adverbs (see above)
Latinate words
Tidy, resolved, or satisfying endings
Religion, unless heavily tempered by irony

Here are some things that I learned would almost always go over not too badly:

Ghazals
Cunts
Blank verse
Chickens (don't ask)
Irony

**********

Gyah!!! I could spend an hour tearing this to shreds, but it's midnight, and the fallacies on display are pretty obvious...


<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com