Kiss me, I'm Catholic.

Saturday, April 24, 2004

While I'm working on a post about Toscana…

Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 18, find line 4. Write down what it says.
"¡Ay, Guadalquivir!" Yep, that's all, from The Selected Poems of Frederico García Lorca. That was the last line of "Poem of the Saeta." (Saeta means "dart," but it's also a kind of song that they sing in the Holy Week processions in Seville…)

Stretch your left arm out as far as you can. What do you touch first?
My open notebook. With a Latin dictionary and some poems by Ezra Pound underneath.

What is the last thing you watched on TV?
Can't remember. Which is a very good answer, if you ask me.

What is on the walls of the room you are in?
A little wooden plaque painted red, gold and blue with an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the middle, a copy of the San Damiano crucifix which has hung over my bed since I was a baby, a calender with Fra Angelico paintings on it that cost me 14 euros in Venice. Also two movie posters for LotR and one for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, a poster in Italian advertising one of my youth symphony's concerts (I nicked it in Caldogno), and maps of Middle Earth and medieval Europe.

What is the last movie you saw?
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. My little sister decided to watch all three movies back-to-back, and I had forgotten how much I like them. "I am a Jedi, like my father before me…" Great stuff.

If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy first?
A bunch of ruined English abbeys. I'd have them re-roofed and restored, turn them over to some traditional Benedictines or something, and spend my days going to Mass in them and dancing on ol' H8's grave. Bwa ha ha!

Tell me something about you that I don't know.
My mother became a Catholic at Harvard, in the Sixties, by reading Amalarius of Metz and Erasmus' Praise of Folly. Will wonders never cease? (The good Chestertonian answer: Never.)


<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com